Wed, 2006-03-01 12:00
YIELD: About 1 Quart
10 oz. fresh strawberries, sliced (1 pint)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 oz. whipping cream (2 cups)
1 vanilla bean
5 1/2 oz. mild-flavored honey (1/2 cup)
3 egg yolks
12 oz. mascarpone cheese (1 1/2 cups)
4 oz. amaretti cookies, crushed finely (1 1/2 cups)
- Toss strawberries with sugar; macerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat cream and vanilla bean to a simmer; let stand 30 minutes.
- Whisk honey and egg yolks until pale and creamy; beat in reserved cream.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain; cool.
- Whisk in mascarpone.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise, then scrape seeds into mixture.
- Fold in strawberries and amaretti.
- Freeze according to ice cream machine manufacturer's instructions.
Recipe and photo submitted by the National Honey Board