YIELD: 12 servings
4 2” meatballs, cut into ¼” slices
6 mozzarella balls, cut in half
½ cup red pepper vinegar
Parmesan cheese shavings, to garnish
For the breading:
12 round croutons (made with bread and a small, circular cookie cutter)
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup chives, chopped
1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbsp. thyme, chopped
2 tbsps. olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Chop all the herbs and mix together with the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. With a peeler, make 12 Parmesan shavings by pressing the peeler firmly against the Parmesan wedge and pulling down (like peeling a potato). Reserve the shavings in the refrigerator.
3. Cut bread into circles with a cookie cutter and lightly toast them in a pan with a sprinkle of olive oil.
4. Preheat a separate pan over medium heat, add olive oil and place the meatball slices into the pan.
5. Once first side is slightly browned, flip meatball slices over and place one halved mozzarella ball on each. Cover pan and reduce to low heat, about 4 minutes.
6. While mozzarella melts, coat each crouton with the fresh herb mix and drizzle with red pepper vinegar.
7. Remove meatball slices from pan, place on top of croutons and finish with an additional drizzle of vinegar.
Photo and recipe: Mange