The National Restaurant Association Military Foundation has announced award winners for excellence in military foodservice at operations worldwide.
The National Restaurant Association Military Foundation (NRAMF) has announced award winners for excellence in military foodservice at operations worldwide. Awards were given to service members and military establishments of the U.S. Marine Corps, the U.S. Air Force, the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserves.
“The National Restaurant Association and our members take great pride in our military foodservice personnel and the outstanding work that they do,” says NRA President/CEO Dawn Sweeney. “It is truly our privilege to honor these individuals for their talents and service.”
The NRAMF awards program grew from the Association’s decades-long partnership with the Hennessy Trophy Awards program. Established in 1957, the program honors the dedication, pride and fellowship of Air Force foodservice personnel. The Association expanded the program in 2008 with the sponsorship of the Marine Corps’ Hill Award.
NRA board members travel each winter to Air Force, Air National Guard and Marine Corps bases to evaluate food service operations. Other prestigious members of the traveling teams also include representatives of the International Food Service Executives Association (IFSEA) and Society for Foodservice Management (SFM).
The following individuals and establishments were honored at a ceremony held Friday in conjunction with the National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show in Chicago...
USMC Food Service Specialists of the Year:
• Active Duty Staff Non-Commissioned Officer Winner: GySgt Nelson B. Shippee, Service Company, Headquarters Battalion, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Marine Corps Installations Pacific.
• Active Duty Non-Commissioned Officer Winner: SSgt Tracy N Schuster, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron, Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, S.C., Marine Corps Installations East
• Reservist Non-Commissioned Officer Winner: Cpl Daniel S. Russo, Headquarters Company, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces Reserve, Devens, Mass.
Major General W.P.T. Hill Award for Excellence in Military Foodservice Establishments Winners:
• Best Military/Contractor Garrison Mess Hall: Mess Hall 423, MCAS, Futenma, MCB Camp Butler, Japan
• Best Full Food Service Contract: Mess Hall 590, 1st Recruit Training BN, MCRD ERR Parris Island, S.C.
• Best Active Field Mess: CLR 17, 1st MLG, 1 MEF, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
• Best Reserve Field Mess: H&S Company, 6th ESB, 4th MLG, Portland, Ore.
Air Force John L. Hennessy Award for Excellence in Foodservice Base Winners:
• Region 1 Category: Whiteman AFB, Mo.
• Region 2 Category: Sheppard AFB, Texas
• USAFE Food Service Small Site Ward: 703rd MUNSS Volkel AB, NL
• AFGSC Best Missile Feeding Operation: 341st Operations Group, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
• Best in Air Force Food Transformation: Travis AB, Calif.
AIR NATIONAL GUARD
Senior Master Sergeant Kenneth W. Disney Food Service Award Winner: 190th Air Refueling Wing, Force Support Squadron, Sustainment Services Flight, Forbes Field, Kan.
John L. Hennessy Award for Excellence in Foodservice Winners: A1C Luz Garcia, 105 FSS, Stewart ANGB, N.Y. & TSGT Danielle Peavler, 190 FSS, Forbes Field, Kan.
AIR FORCE RESERVES
AFRC Award Winner: 301 FSS, Carswell Air Reserve Station, Texas
John L. Hennessy Award for Excellence in Foodservice Winners: SRA Daniel Chrest, Youngstown ARS, Ohio; A1C Stephan Hall, Wright Pat AFB, Ohio; SRA Angel Agosto, Carswell ARS, Texas; AMN Kevin Smith, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
The National Restaurant Association created the NRAMF in 2012 to provide training and support to military hospitality programs; promote restaurant/hospitality career opportunities for veterans and their spouses; and provide small-business ownership opportunities for veterans.