YIELD: 24 servings
24 each chicken breasts, 3-ozs. each
6 Tbsps. olive oil
3 lbs. onion, chopped
1 lb. red bell pepper, large dice
1/4 cup garlic, minced
4 Tbsps. paprika
12 cups long grain rice
7-1/2 cups dry white wine
84 ozs. canned, diced tomatoes with juice
10-1/2 cups chicken broth
4 tsps. saffron
4 each bay leaves
6 cups frozen peas
3 cups pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat tilt skillet and add oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and brown completely on both sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and bell pepper to pan. Cook over moderate heat until softened.
- Add rice, garlic and spices. SautÈ rice for 2 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Stir in tomatoes, their juice, chicken broth, saffron and bay leaves. Replace chicken on top of rice; reduce heat. Cook, covered, over low heat until rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in olives and remove from pan. Adjust salt and pepper. Pan up rice in bottom of steam table pan. Shingle cooked chicken breast on top of rice. Garnish pans with thawed peas. Optional garnish: additional chopped and seeded tomato. Discard bay leaves.
Recipe from Chef Sonja Kehr, CSC, CDM, CFPP, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH.