Yield: 32 servings
1 ⁄2 lb.butter
1 ⁄2 lb.margarine
1 lb.andouille sausage
1 ⁄2 lb.par-boiled,converted rice
1 ⁄2 cup vegetable oil
1 lb.Spanish onions,diced 1 ⁄2 -in.
1 lb.green bell peppers,diced 1 ⁄2 -in.
1 ⁄2 oz.garlic,chopped
2 each bay leaves
1 lb.tomato pur é e
1 ⁄2 lb.chicken base
2 1 ⁄2 lbs.shrimp
2 lbs.frozen,cut okra
1 oz.gumbo fil é
1 oz.Cajun seasoning
1 ⁄2 oz.black pepper
1 tsp.hot pepper sauce
1 ⁄4 lb.scallions,chopped
- Melt butter and margarine, then whisk in flour to make roux the consistency of thin peanut butter. Transfer roux to baking pan and place in 350°F oven; bake for 2-3 hours, stirring every 1⁄2 hour until deep golden brown. Reserve. (Roux must be at room temperature when added in step 4.)
- Bake sausage until cooked through; cool and dice into 1⁄2-in. chunks.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in pot; add onions, peppers, garlic and bay leaves and saute until onions are translucent. Add water, tomato puree and chicken base. Bring to a boil and slowly add the roomtemperature roux to thicken, using just as much as needed to slightly thicken.
- Add shrimp, scallops and diced, cooked sausage; bring to a boil and add okra. Season with gumbo fil?, Cajun seasoning, black pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Add steamed rice to mixture for service. Garnish with chopped scallions.
Recipe from Holy Cross Dining Services, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA.