YIELD: 24 sandwiches
24 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 oz. each)
Olive oil, as needed
3 Tbsps. rosemary, finely chopped
12 cloves garlic, finely chopped (11/2 oz.)
6 California avocados (3 lbs.)
1/3 cup lemon juice
Salt and pepper, as needed
48 pieces focaccia (about 4" x 5" each)
3/4 cup lemon aioli
6 tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 3 lbs.)
24 slices pancetta (rounds), fried crisp
Arugula leaves, as needed
- Pound chicken breast halves to even thickness, about 3/8".
- Lightly coat each piece with olive oil; rub each with some of the rosemary and garlic. Marinate for 3 hours, refrigerated.
- JUST BEFORE SERVICE: Roughly mash avocado; stir in lemon juice; reserve. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Grill chicken until just firm to the touch, about 2 minutes per side; reserve.
- PER ORDER: Spread 1 piece focaccia with 1/4 cup avocado mixture; spread 1 piece with 1/2 Tbsp. lemon aioli; reserve. Layer avocado with sliced tomato, 1 piece chicken, 1 slice pancetta and arugula leaves. Top with remaining piece of focaccia, aioli side down.
- Lightly film a hot frying pan with olive oil. Pan-grill sandwich, lightly pressing it down with a spatula, until focaccia is browned. Turn; repeat procedure. Cut in half on diagonal.
*Stir 1 Tbsp. finely chopped lemon zest into 11/2 cups aioli; let stand 1 hour to marry flavors.
**Two thick slices of bacon, fried, may be substituted per sandwich.
Recipe and photo from the California Avocado Board