Yield: 20 servings
1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup pesto sauce
20 portabella mushrooms, aprox 4-5”
5 oz. fire roasted pepper, diced
1 lb artichoke hearts, quartered
5 oz. sliced black olives
2 1⁄2 lbs. fresh mozzarella Ovallini
2 1⁄2 tsp. fresh oregano or parsley, chopped, or more to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine the pesto sauce and vinegar. Reserve.
3. Clean the outside of mushroom and with a spoon scrape the gills from the underside of the mushroom. Brush underside of mushroom with pesto mixture and place on a baking sheet.
4. Combine the artichokes, peppers and olives. Divide evenly on the mushrooms (gill side up)
5. Slice cheese approx. 1⁄8" thick and divide evenly over the vegetable mixture.
6. Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until mushroom is tender but still slightly firm. Garnish with oregano or parsley
Recipe and photo from Senior Executive Chef Paul Jensen, Villanova University Dining Services, Villanova, PA