Yield: 16, 6-oz. servings
1 gal. water (64 oz.)
1 qt. white wine (16 oz.)
2 lbs. chicken bones
1 lb. Spanish onions, chopped
1/2 lb. carrots, chopped
1/2 lb. celery, chopped
4 oz. whole black peppercorns
1 head garlic, split
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 bunch parsley
4 whole jalapenos
2 whole bay leaves
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 Roma tomatoes, blanched, peeled
2 onions, diced small
2 carrots, diced small
2 celery stalks, diced small
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled, diced small
16 tortillas, sliced and fried
16 oz. cilantro sprigs
16 oz. Queso Fresco, cut into medium-sized cubes
4 green limes, cut into eighths or quarters
- For the broth: In stockpot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a simmer; skin off all foam and residue. Simmer for up to two hours. Strain before using.
- To finish the soup: Season finished broth to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add diced vegetables to broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until all vegetables are fork-tender.
- Add chicken; bring back to simmer but do not boil.
- To serve: Dish soup evenly into serving bowls. Sprinkle each bowl evenly with tortilla crisps, cilantro sprigs, and Queso Fresco cheese cubes (the cubes will sink). Serve chilled lime wedges on side in soup spoon.
Recipe and photo from Roth Käse USA.