YIELD: 3 quarts
4 3/4 lbs. fully ripened fresh Florida tomatoes, peeled, seeded, divided
3 oz. unsalted butter
12 oz. onion, small dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 oz. flour
1 qt. chicken stock or broth
1 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp. sugar
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Cut 3 3/4 lbs. tomatoes in large dice; cut remaining 1 lb. in small dice; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic, cook until tender but not browned. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in large-dice tomatoes, stock and orange juice. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until tomatoes are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Stir in small-dice tomatoes and sugar. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce. Return to heat and simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Serve garnished with thinly sliced orange and a basil leaf, if desired.
Recipe from Steven Barnhart, Kendall College, Evanston, IL., Photo by the Florida Tomato Commission.