YIELD: 16 servings
24 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced _ inch thick
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon Juice
4 Tbsps. honey
2 lbs. unsalted butter
2 cups brown sugar
9 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. unsalted butter
2 cups pecans, toasted, medium, chopped
- FOR THE APPLES: Saute the apples in the brown sugar, honey and lemon juice. Cook until all of the liquid in the pan has evaporated. Let mixture cool.
- FOR THE CRUST: Cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs and blend.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix for 1 minute and scrape down bowl. Mix for one minute more. Press dough into sheet pan coated with food release. Bake for 10 minutes at 325°F.
- FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING: Combine together the flour, the sugars, cinnamon and salt. Mix briefly on slow speed.Add the butter and mix on medium speed until the mixture is crumbly and barely holds together when squeezed gently. Stir in the pecans with a large rubber spatula. Set aside.
- TO ASSEMBLE: When the crust is done, immediately spread the cooked apples evenly over the hot crust. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the apples gently pressing to adhere.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and crisp.
Recipe submitted by Ted Fekete, district manager, Whitson's Culinary Group, Huntington Station, NY