Recipe: Nolan N. Green. Yield: 4 mini burgers
For the Scallop Patties
Yield: 4 (2 oz patties)
For the patties:
6 oz diver sea scallops (pat dry and remove side muscle)
1 large egg
1/2 oz. olive oil
1 Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 tsp, lemon zest
1 Tbsp. chives (sliced thin)
1/2 cup panko
1 1/2 tsps. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
For the seasoned panko:
1 cup panko
1 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 tsps. Old Bay Seasoning
2 Tbsps. canola oil
1. Take egg and add to small cold food processor and blend until smooth. (Place parts to food processor to chill for mixing.)
2. Add half of the scallops and add to the processor and continue to blend.
3. Add in olive oil to when the mix starts to become chunky.
4. Add in Old Bay Seasoning, salt, white pepper, chives when mixture becomes smooth.
5. Chop up remaining half of scallops leaving it chunky but with pieces no bigger than a ¼ inch.
6. Empty mix into mixing bowl and fold in panko and scallop pieces until mix is clumping together. (It may take a bit more panko, depending on moisture content of scallops.)
8. Ball up 2-oz. portions of scallop mix and flatten in a plate of seasoned panko, crusting the outside of the patty. Coat outside with seasoned panko while forming the patty. Make sure to keep edges uniform for even cooking. (Tip: take out a about 1 Tbsp. and cook it off before you make the rest of the patties. It will allow you the chance to check for seasoning.)
9. Cook patties in a preheated 12” sauté pan with enough oil to coat pan and come up a quarter of the way on the scallop patties, on medium heat. (Oil temp will be about 325° F) Flip patties when the bottoms are golden brown and continue cook on other side.
10. Pull patties when sides are golden brown; and internal temp at desired doneness, and placing them on a dip pan or paper lined plate to soak up access oil before plating.
Celery Root Slaw
Yield: 4 (1/2 oz.) portions
1 oz. celery root (cut julienne)
1/2 oz. carrot (cut julienne)
1 Tbsp. green onion (finely sliced)
1 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley (minced)
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
For the dressing:
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1. In a mixing bowl mix apple cider vinegar, honey, and mayonnaise with a whisk. Beat mixture until smooth.
2. Add all ingredients to bowl and mix until vegetables and seasonings are evenly distributed.
Taste for balance in seasoning.
For the Green Goddess Sauce
Yield: 8 oz.
1 Tbsp. chives (rough chopped)
2 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley (rough chopped, no stems)
1 Tbsp. tarragon (rough chopped, no stems)
1/2 tsps mustard powder
1 oz. apple cider vinegar
1 oz. honey
3 oz. olive oil
3 oz. sour cream
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsps ground white pepper
1. Add chives, parsley, tarragon, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper to a blender.
2. Blend all ingredients until smooth and add oil to blender during blending in a slow stream.
3. When oil is mixed in, mixture should be smooth and thick.
4. Pour mixture in mixing bowl and fold in sour cream until fully incorporated.
5. Taste for balance in seasoning.
To make the sliders:
1 mini Kaiser bun (cut in half from west to east)
1 scallop patty
½ oz. celery root slaw
¼ oz, Green Goddess Sauce
1. Toast inside of Kaiser Bun with butter. Spread green goddess sauce on bottom bun.
2. Top with scallop patty. Top with slaw. Top with top bun.
3. Repeat with remaining patties.