YIELD: 6-8 servings
1 whole Alaska Keta Salmon (dressed), fresh or thawed
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, halved
zest of a lemon
juice of a lemon (about 1/3 cup)
2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
additional thyme sprigs and lemon wedges, for garnish, optional
1 bottle (12 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts, drained, reserving 1/4 cup juice
3 cups small cherry tomatoes, cut in half, if large
3/4 cup medium stuffed Spanish olives, halved crosswise
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
1/3 to 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. Remove Alaska Keta Salmon from refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking. Heat grill to medium-high heat (400°F).
2. Make marinade: Place oil and garlic in the bowl of a small food processor or blender; pulse until garlic is minced. Add zest, lemon juice, thyme leaves and salt and pepper. Pulse 1 to 2 times to blend.
3. Make a foil pan by cutting 2 pieces of wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil about 6-inches longer than the salmon. Stack the foil pieces (shiny side down) on a baking sheet; spray generously with cooking spray. Rinse salmon under cold water, thoroughly rinsing belly cavity; pat dry with paper towel. On both sides of the salmon, cut 3 to 4 slits, crosswise, into the skin of salmon, deep enough to almost reach the bone. Brush marinade on one side of salmon. Place fish, marinated side down, onto the center of foil. Brush top side with marinade. Fold the foil sides and ends up (1 to 2-inches) to make a shallow pan around the salmon, leaving a 2-inch margin around the fish.
4. Carefully transfer the foil pan to the center of the preheated grill. Do not cover the salmon with foil or close the foil over the salmon. Close grill cover and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, cooking just until salmon is opaque throughout. Remove from the grill and let rest a few minutes before serving.
5. While fish is cooking, cut artichoke hearts in half to make bite-sized pieces and place in a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, olives, avocado, chives and feta. Pour reserved artichoke juice over vegetables; stir gently to blend. Serve salad with salmon. Variation: Roast in an oven preheated to 400°F for 25 to 35 minutes, cooking just until fish is opaque throughout. Be sure to let the salmon rest a few minutes before serving.
Photo and recipe: Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
YIELD: 6-8 servings