YIELD: 8 sandwiches
8 Cemita rolls (recipe follows)
fried avocados (recipe follows)
avocado puree (recipe follows)
8 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp
4 oz. Mexican Oaxaca cheese or queso fresco, shredded
4 oz. mayonnaise
1 white onion, sliced into rings
papalo leaves or cilantro leaves, as needed
For the Cemita Rolls (Yield: 8 rolls):
2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsps. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. active dry yeast
2 eggs, room temperature
½ cup buttermilk, warmed to 110°F
¼ cup sesame seeds
For the fried avocados:
1 fresh avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced into ¼” slices
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup cornmeal
For the avocado puree:
2 fresh avocados, peeled, pitted
2 Tbsps. fresh lime juice
2 tsps. salt
For the chipotle sauce (yield 1 cup):
1 (7 oz.) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
3 oz. olive oil
1. For the rolls: Mix all the dry ingredients together in large bowl. Whisk the eggs with the oil. Stir eggs, oil, and warm buttermilk into dry ingredients. Mix until the liquid is incorporated and then let rest for 15 minutes. Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. It will be a little sticky.
2. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 ½ hours. Divide the dough into 8 balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Let rest 15 minutes covered. Flatten each ball into a disc, cover and let rest 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400° F. When rolls have risen, mix the milk and water in a small bowl and brush the mixture on the tops of the rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake the rolls for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack.
4. For the fried avocado: Dip each slice of avocado into the buttermilk and then into the cornmeal, shaking off excess. Deep fry at 400° F until light golden. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined pan.
5. To assemble: Slice each roll in half. Spread bottom half with about 2 tablespoons of the California Avocado Puree. Place 2 Fried California Avocado pieces on top of puree. Top with one slice of bacon cut in half crosswise. Layer with cheese, chipotle sauce, a few papalo or cilantro leaves, and white onion rings. Spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise on the top bun and place on top of sandwich. Serve.
YIELD: 8 sandwiches