Yield: 12 servings
4 oz. salted butter or margarine
8 oz. white onions, diced 1⁄2”
8 oz. red onions, diced 1⁄2”
8 oz. yellow onions, diced 1⁄2”
10 oz. carrots, peeled, sliced in 1⁄2”
8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
10 oz. celery, sliced 1⁄2”
6 oz. red bell peppers, diced 1⁄2”
2 lbs. boneless chicken meat, diced 1”
3⁄4 cup flour
4 oz. microbrew wheat beer
12 oz. cream
16 oz. chicken broth
1⁄2 oz. chicken base
2 Tbsps. fresh thyme, minced
1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, minced
3⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1⁄2 tsp. black pepper, finely ground
11⁄2 tsps. salt
2 tsps. garlic, minced
1 cup green onions, sliced 1⁄8”
36 oz. prepared pie crust dough
1. Combine the first 9 ingredients (butter through chicken) in a large heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add flour and stir well to combine with vegetables.
2. Add the next 11 ingredients (beer through green onions) and stir well. Bring to a simmer while stirring frequently. Cook for 10 minutes after achieving simmer.
3. Place 10 oz. of filling in each of 12 individual baking dishes. Set aside and cool slightly.
4. Divide dough into 12 pieces weighing 3 oz. each. Roll dough 1⁄8” thick to fit baking dishes. Place rolled dough over cooked filling and crimp around edges to seal. Cut three small slits into the top to let steam escape while baking.
5. When all pies are prepared, place in preheated 375ºF oven and bake for 45 minutes until crust is browned. Serve immediately, or cool then reheat in 350ºF oven for 15 to 20 minutes until hot.
Recipe and photo from National Onion Board.