YIELD: 48 servings
One Sheet Cake (64—2 x 3 inch servings) or Four 8-Inch 2-layer Cakes
7 cups cool water (approx 72°F)
1/4 cup raspberry extract
full box Gold Medal Devil's Food Cake or Chocolate Chocolate Cake Mix
Full tub Gold Medal chocolate fudge icing
2 cups pistachios, chopped
3 cups raspberry preserves
chocolate curls, as desired
2 qts. prepared whipped topping
- Pour 1/2 total water and extract into mixer bowl.
- Add total amount of mix. Mix using a paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 water gradually while mixing on low speed. Stop mixer. Scrape bowl and paddle.
- Mix batter on low speed for 2 minutes. Do not overmix.
- Deposit total batter per greased and floured 16 x 24 inch (inside measurements) sheet pan or 1lb. per greased and floured 8 inch layer cake pan.
- To bake: If using a convection oven, bake sheet pans for 30-35 minutes, or if using layer pans, bake for 25-30 minutes at 300°F. Rotate cakes baked in a convection oven one-half turn (180°) after 10 minutes of baking. If using a standard oven, bake sheet pans for 35-40 minutes, or if using layer pans, bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F.
For finishing: (Cake layers should be frozen before finishing for easier handling.)
Sheet cakes: Ice cake with chocolate fudge icing. Place a dollop of raspberry preserves and chopped pistachios in the center of each piece. Garnish each serving with chocolate curls. Dust garnish with powdered sugar if desired.
Layer cakes: Level cake tops as necessary. (Ice cakes directly on turntable, do not use a cake circle.) Ice first layer with chocolate icing. Spread a thin layer of raspberry preserves over icing. Place second cake layer onto preserves, pressing gently. Ice cake sides and top. Remove iced cake from turntable. Hold cake in hand. Press chopped pistachios around bottom edge of cake. Place a dollop of icing onto cake circle; place cake on cake circle. Spread a thin layer of raspberry preserves over top of cake. Pipe a border around cake top with whipped topping. Mound chocolate curls in center of cake. Dust chocolate curls lightly with powdered sugar.
Recipe and photo from Gold Medal Baking Mixes Recipes