Yield: 150 servings
20 lbs. rice noodles
2 lbs. shallots, fine dice
3 ozs. garlic, chopped
2 ozs. ginger purèe or fresh ginger
40 ozs. sugar
16 ozs. lime juice
40 ozs. soy sauce
1/2 gal. vegetable stock
4 ozs. chili paste
to sautè sesame oil
to sautè vegetable oil
1 case tofu, extra firm, diced
1 can peanuts
to garnish green onions
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Shock and set aside for later. Al dente.
- Combine together the shallots, garlic, ginger, sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, vegetable stock, and chili paste.
- Heat the oils together and sautè tofu for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take the ingredients in step 2 and bring to a boil and cook about 2 minutes. Then thicken with a corn starch slurry.
- Heat noodles in a steamer for 1 to 2 minutes and add tofu and sauce and serve. Garnish with peanuts and green onions.
Recipe from Craig Mombert, executive chef, Davidson College Dining Service.