YIELD: 10, 12-oz. servings
1 can chopped ocean clams (51 oz.)
1 lb., 12 oz. small red potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, diced
1 qt. heavy cream
1 1/2 cups half & half
2 Tbsps. clam base
1 1/2 tsps. fresh garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
2 large bay leaves
2 tsps. dried marjoram
2 tsps. Italian seasoning, dried
1 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
3/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
8 oz. bacon, diced
2 Tbsps. butter
12 oz. white onion, diced
12 oz. celery, diced
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Drain clams, reserving clams and liquid seperately.
- Cook potatoes in reserved clam liquid until tender.
- Heat cream, half & half, clam base and all seasonings in a large double boiler. Add cooked potato, including liquid. Keep mixture hot.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Drain off drippings. Add butter, onion and celery. Cook until vegetables are al dente.
- Stir flour into mixture and cook a few minutes longer.
- Add bacon-vegetable mixture to hot cream-potato mixture and mix well. Keep mixture hot. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- To serve: Portion 12 oz. of chowder into heated bowls and top off with 1/3 cup clams and 1 tsp. fresh parsley.