YIELD: 12 (1 sandwich) servings
2 loaves (approx. 9" diameter) focaccia bread, not browned
3 Tbsps. olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. coarse ground pepper
2 Tbsps. chopped fresh basil
2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. dijon mustard
11/2 tsps. sugar
11/2 tsps. pepper
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
16 large/1 lb. 12 oz. *hard-cooked eggs, sliced or chopped
3 Tbsps. capers, drained
1/2 cup/2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup/2 oz. roasted red peppers, drained and diced
6 large/12 oz. roma tomatoes, each cut in 6 slices
24 large fresh basil leaves
*If using peeled, hard-cooked egg product.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Brush focaccia with oil. Sprinkle on salt, pepper, and basil.
- Bake 3 to 4 minutes to seal herbs to bread. Cool slightly.
- Cut each loaf into 6 wedges. Slice each wedge in half.
- Prepare vinaigrette: place all vinaigrette ingredients in food processor. Pulse 2 to 3 times. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- Prepare egg salad: combine eggs, capers, feta, and red peppers in mixing bowl. Gently stir in dressing. Cover and refrigerate until service.
- For each serving, place 3 slices tomato over focaccia. Portion about 1/2 cup salad over tomato. Cover with top slice of focaccia.
- Garnish with basil leaves as desired. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Photo: American Egg Board