1 large Yukon Gold potato
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
1 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsps. real maple syrup
1 tsp. Japanese soy sauce
1/4 tsp. dried chili flakes
2 Tbsps. water
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 Tbsp. wasabi paste
1 Tbsp. honey
1 lime, juiced
4 boneless salmon filets (2 oz. each)
4 springs cilantro to taste salt and pepper
- Peel the potato and make 12 thin slices. Heat the oil is a sauté pan on low heat and fry the potatoes until crispy (about 10 minutes). Retain remaining oil. Drain potatoes on absorbent paper and season lightly with salt.
- Place the garlic, maple syrup, soy sauce and chili flakes in a shallow bowl. Add 2 Tbsps. water and one tsp. lemon juice. Marinate the salmon for a half hour.
- Lightly whip the cream and add in the wasabi paste and honey. Season to taste with a sprinkle of salt and a few drops of lime juice.
- Heat a little of the olive oil that the potatoes were fried in and set the salmon pieces over high heat a couple of minutes per side until just done. Keep warm.
- Place three of the potato crisps on each of four plates. Balance the salmon on top and spoon on some of the wasabi cream mixture. Place a sprig of cilantro on each and serve immediately.
Note: This dish can be garnished with fresh steamed asparagus.
YIELd: 4 portions
Recipe from Blair Rasmussen, regional executive chef, Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre/Centerplate