YIELD: 4 servings
1 pound Alaska pollock fillets
1 cup rice flour
2 ea. eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. green onion, sliced
1 /2 tsp. Thai red curry paste
2 cups panko crumbs
1 tsp. sesame seeds
1 /2 cup rice vinegar
1 /4 cup Hoisin sauce
1 /4 cup plum sauce
1 /4 cup plum wine
1 tsp. ginger, chopped
1 /4 cup peanut oil
2 tsps. sesame oil
2 Tbsps. cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp. mint, chopped
to taste salt and pepper
as needed peanut oil
as needed kim chee or pickled vegetables
- To prepare vinaigrette: Combine rice vinegar, hoisin, plum sauce, plum wine and ginger; mix well.
- Add peanut oil in slow, steady stream to emulsify; whisk in sesame oil.
- Stir in cilantro and mint; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut pollock fillets lengthwise into 8 strips. Dredge strips in rice flour; set aside.
- In bowl, whisk together eggs, green onion and red curry paste. In separate bowl, combine panko crumbs and sesame seeds.
- For each serving: Dip 4 oz. pollock strips in egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture.
- Deep fry pollock strips in 375°F oil until golden; drain on absorbent towels.
- Serve pollock with kim chee or pickled vegetables and Plum Vinaigrette as a dipping sauce or pool vinaigrette on plate as base for fish.
Recipe and photo from the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute