YIELD: 4, 6 oz. portions
1 lb. chicken thigh meat, diced
1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsps. garam masala spice
1 oz. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, or more to taste
kosher salt, to taste
bamboo skewers, soaked, drained
1/8 tsp. active yeast
1/2 tsp. granulated sugar kosher salt, to taste 1 cup all purpose flour 2 eggs 1 cup plain yogurt
water, as needed
2 Tbsps. olive oil
1 fresh mango
4 oz. plain yogurt
1 tsp. ground coriander 1 tsp. ground cumin
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch chili powder
kosher salt, to taste
white ground pepper, to taste
6 mint leaves, julienne
2 oz . sherry vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Madras curry powder
1/2 cup olive oil
8 oz. baby salad mix (convenience)
Red onion slices, as needed
1. FOR THE CHICKEN: In a bowl whisk plain yogurt, garam masala, lemon juice and black pepper. Add diced chicken thigh meat and toss to coat. Refrigerate over night.
2. FOR THE NAAN BREAD: In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients. Add egg and yogurt. Knead through adding water as you need to form a smooth dough.
3. Divide dough into equal portions; shape into 4 balls, coat with oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 25 minutes.
4. Using your hands flatten dough like a pancake.
5. Bake in 450°F oven until puffy and lightly blistered.
6. Take out from oven, brush with melted butter, cut into four pieces.
7. FOR THE MANGO RAITA: While the chicken is cooking, peel mango, remove pit and cut into slices, finely dice and reserve.
8. In a bowl whisk the yogurt with coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper, and mint. Add diced mango, mixing gently so as not to break up mango. Keep refrigerated until needed.
9. FOR THE VINAIGRETTE: In a bowl combine vinegar, mustard, cumin and curry powder; slowly whisk in olive oil until fully infused. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
10. TO COOK CHICKEN: Divide chicken thigh meat into four equal portions. Skewer marinated chicken on 10" long bamboo skewer, season to taste with salt and bake in 450°F oven until juices from chicken run clear and outside is dark brown. Hold hot.
11. TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD: In a bowl toss salad mix with vinaigrette. Transfer into a ceramic bowl, top with two cooked chicken skewers and mango raita. Garnish with two rings of red onion and a slice of naan bread.
Recipe submitted by Arnold Zavalza, executive chef, Cal Polytechnical Pomona University, CA