YIELD: 4, 6 oz. portions
1 dried Ancho chile
1 dried Pasilla chile
2 Tbsps. Chipotle chiles in Adobo sauce
1 cup green tomatillos, chopped, boiled 3 cups diced tomatoes
1 oz. dark chocolate (not bittersweet)
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. ground cloves dash ground black pepper kosher salt, to taste
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
3 Tbsps. olive oil
4 oz. yellow onion
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped garlic
chicken stock, optional, to thin sauce if desired
steamed rice, as needed
red onion, chopped, for garnish
cilantro, chopped, for garnish
1. FOR THE MOLE: Soak the dried chiles in warm water overnight to re-hydrate.
2. Steam and seed re-hydrated chiles. Puree in a blender until smooth and strain through a china cap.
3. Return strained chile puree into blender cup; add cooked tomatillo, diced tomatoes, chocolate, ground cumin, cloves and pepper. Grind to a medium course consistency, season to taste with salt, cover chicken and marinate over night.
4. Transfer marinated chicken into a roasting pan, cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45-60 minutes or until chicken breast is cooked through.
5. Serve over steamed rice garnished with the chopped red onion and cilantro.
Recipe submitted by Arnold Zavalza, executive chef, Cal Polytechnical Pomona University, CA