YIELD: 24 (K-5) servings
20.5 oz. whole grain brown rice
3 tsps. low-sodium soy sauce
3 tsps. balsamic dressing, low fat
3 cups tomatoes, fresh, diced
3 cups whole liquid eggs, thawed
¼ cup vegetable oil
6 oz. green bell pepper, chopped
6 oz. yellow onion, chopped
6 oz. chicken pepperoni
1 ½ cup swiss chard, chopped
3 oz. Parmesan cheese, part-skim, shredded
1. Prepare the rice according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer the rice to a food-safe container, cover and hold in a hot holding unit above 135°F until ready to use. The rice may be prepared the day before and refrigerated.
2. Combine soy sauce and balsamic dressing in a bowl and whisk. Gently toss diced tomatoes in the soy and balsamic mixture and hold below 40°F.
3. Cook the scrambled eggs according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer the cooked scrambled eggs to a food-safe container, cover and hold in a hot holding unit above 135°F until ready to use.
4. In a tilt skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add the chicken pepperoni and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until hot.
5. Add the rice and Swiss chard, stirring frequently until the Swiss chard cooks down and the mixture reaches 165°F. Add the eggs to the rice mixture and gently fold to completely incorporate.
6. Hold the finished rice covered in a hotel pan, in a hot holding unit above 135°F, until ready to serve.
7. To assemble single serving: Portion 1 cup fried rice into a bowl or plate. Garnish with 2 tablespoons marinated tomatoes and ⅛ oz. (about 1 1⁄2 teaspoons) Parmesan cheese.
Photo and recipe: Uncle Ben’s