YIELD: 16 1-oz. servings
9 ¼ oz. hearty cereal oats
¾ oz. roasted sunflower seeds
¾ oz. slivered almonds
1⅔ Tbsps + ½ tsp. light brown sugar
½ oz. shredded long coconut
1 oz. English walnut pieces
1 oz. seedless fancy raisins
1 ⅔ Tbsps + ½ tsp. honey
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 ⅔ Tbsps. + ¼ tsp. vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
2. In mixer bowl with paddle attachment combine oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, sugar, coconut, walnuts and raisins. Mix only until combined.
3. Combine honey, vanilla and vegetable oil. Mix well.
4. On low speed with mixer running, slowly add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing well.
5. Spread evenly on sheet pans, double depth if you have them, not too deep.
6. Toast in oven with the decks on medium and the damper open, stirring every 20 min. Toast for 1 hour. If mixture browns too quickly, turn top to low and oven to 200°F.
7. Cool completely. Store in airtight containter or in storage bags. Keep in a cool place
Recipe: Lucas Miller, Manager of Menu Development and Test Kitchen, Ball State University