YIELD: 12 cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cup Cosmopolitan (recipe below)
*if non-alcoholic substitute cranberry juice
zest of 1 lime
Red paste or gel food coloring
1.5 fluid ounce vodka (cranberry or any citrus vodka works best)
1/2 fluid ounce cointreau
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 fluid ounces cranberry juice
1 twist lime zest, garnish
1/2 cup Cosmopolitan
*for non-alcoholic version add extra cranberry juice and 1/2 oz sugar
1. Heat the cosmopolitan over med heat until thickened and slightly reduced.
2. Brush cupcakes with cranberry/vodka glaze when cupcakes are still slightly warm.
3. When cupcakes are completely cooled, frost with Cosmo Buttercream
For the Cosmo Buttercream
½ cup shortening
1 stick, or 1/2 cup butter
1 lb. (about 4 cups) powdered sugar
2- 3 tablespoons Cosmopolitan Drink Mix (without alcohol)
red food coloring, a few drops
1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350F. Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat until well combined.
4. Add the lime zest
5. Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
6. Add in 1 cup each of the dry and Cosmo mix alternately, beating on low until the whole mixture is well combined.
7. Fill cups with batter two-thirds full.
8. Bake at 350° F for 18-22 minutes or until cupcakes spring back in the middle when touched lightly.
Cool for 10 minutes in pan.