The 2012 Silver Plate Awards have been announced and they include five members of the onsite foodservice community…
• Mark Freeman, Senior Manager of Global Employee Services at Microsoft in Redmond, WA (Foodservice Management category);
• Lyman Graham, Food Services Director at Roswell ISD, Carlsbad
Municipal Schools, Dexter Consolidated Schools in Roswell, NM (Elementary & Secondary Schools category);
• Dan Henroid, MS, RD, Director of Nutrition & Food Services at UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco (Health Care category);
• Mary Molt, PhD, RD, LD, Assistant Director of Housing & Dining Services at Kansas State University in Manhattan (Colleges & Universities category);
• Ricky Clark, CDM, CFPP, CFSM CCFP, Training & Development Coordinator Supervisor at the Virginia Department of Corrections in Crozier, VA (Specialty Foodservices category).
Long considered the most coveted operator awards in the foodservice industry, the Silver Plates are presented annually by the International Foodservice Manufacturers Association (IFMA) in recognition of excellence in nine segments of foodservice operations. Winners are chosen based on their outstanding industry achievements and their commitment to innovation.
In addition to the above, the 2012 Silver Plate winners include
• Cheryl Bachelder, President/CEO at Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen/AFC Enterprises (Chain Fast Service category);
• Phil Fahrenbruch, Executive Chef at the Bavarian Inn of Frankenmuth (MI) (Independent Restaurants category);
• Clarence Otis, Jr., Chairman/COO of Darden Restaurants (Chain Full Service category); and
• Frank Weber, Vice President of Food & Beverage Operations for Royal Caribbean International and Azamara Club Cruise Lines (Hotels & Lodging category).
To selct the winners, a pre-screening jury comprised of past Gold and Silver Plate winners provided peer review, narrowing the candidates within each category. The final winners were selected by a Selection Jury that included the 2011 Silver Plate Award winners, national trade press editors, other foodservice experts and the chairperson of the International Gold & Silver Plate Society. The Jury was chaired by Bill McDowell, Vice President/Editorial Director of Plate magazine.
After the nine Silver Plate winners were chosen, a secret ballot was cast to select one Gold Plate winner from among them. The Jury’s secret ballot, tallied by BDO USA, LLP, will be kept confidential by the accounting firm until the evening of the Gold & Silver Plate Celebration in May when the Gold Plate winner’s name will be announced for the first time.
The 58th annual Gold & Silver Plate Awards Celebration will be held May 7 at the Great Hall at Union Station in Chicago. The Celebration draws hundreds of leading foodservice executives from the supplier and operator communities. The celebration features a pre-dinner wine tasting, custom-designed gourmet meal and festive atmosphere. In addition to the tributes paid to the nine Silver Plate recipients, the Celebration will be capped by the announcement of the 2012 Gold Plate Award winner.
For more information on the Gold & Silver Plate Awards or to make reservations for the Gold & Silver Plate Celebration dinner, go to www.ifmaworld.com, or contact John Lehmann at (312) 253-4683.