YIELD: approx. 36 cookies
6 oz. sugar
12 oz. butter, unsalted, room temperature
⅛ tsp. salt
1 egg yolk
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
1 lb. 2 oz. all-purpose flour, sifted
2 lbs. 8 oz. banana pudding ice cream
1. Place sugar, salt and butter into mixing bowl. Mix with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
2. Whisk the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract together. Slowly add the egg mixture in 3 parts to mixing bowl. Scrape down the mixing bowl after each addition.
3. Add the sifted flour to the mixing bowl and mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
4. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before rolling out. Roll out cookie dough on a floured surface to between 1⁄8” and ¼” thick. Cut cookies out with a 3” circle cutter. Place the cookies on a parchment lined sheet pan.
5. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges. Remove from oven and let cool before filing.
6. To make ice cream sandwiches: Soften ice cream by microwaving for about 10 seconds. Turn over ½ of the baked cookies. Scoop ice cream onto cookies that are bottom-side up. To portion ice cream, use a #16 disher, or about ¼ cup of ice cream. Place remaining cookies on top of the scooped ice cream and press down gently to push the ice cream out to the edge of the cookies. Freeze for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the ice cream to set.
Photo and recipe: North Carolina State University