Yield: 24 servings
1 lb. butter
2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1⁄2 oz. grated lemon zest
1 lb. 4 oz. granulated sugar
16 large eggs
21⁄4 cups heavy cream, whipped
2 lbs. unsalted butter, cut into chunks
14 oz. granulated sugar
10 large egg yolks
1 lb.,10 oz. all-purpose flour
2 tsps. baking powder
2 tsps. salt
1 lb. 8 oz. strawberries, stemmed
1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
4 lbs. strawberries, stemmed and slices
24 mint sprigs
1. For the lemon curd: In a saucepan, heat butter, lemon juice and lemon zest until butter is melted. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
2. In another bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until blended. Gradually whisk in butter mixture. Return to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture just comes to a boil. Do not overcook. Strain.
3. Cover; chill 2 hours or until cold. Fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Cover; chill. (Shortcut: Prepared lemon curd or instant pudding can be substituted.)
4. For the shortbread: Heat oven to 300°F. In a food processor, process butter and sugar 2 to 4 minutes or until creamy. Add egg yolks; process 1 to 11⁄2 minutes or until light and creamy. Transfer to bowl.
5. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, mix well. Gently fold flour mixture into butter mixture. Do not overmix. Form into 2 (6 x 3-inch) rolls. Wrap tightly; chill 4 hours or until firm.
6. Butter and flour interior of 48 (3 x 2-inch) metal cake rings; place on sheet pans. Cut each roll of cookie dough into 24 slices. Press 1 slice into each ring. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 200°F; bake an additional 25 minutes or until dry. Unmold carefully. Cool on wire rack.
7. For the strawberry sauce: In a blender container, puree strawberries until smooth. Sweeten to taste with sugar. Cover and chill.
8. For each serving, to order: Drizzle 2 Tbsps. strawberry sauce on serving plate. Place one shortbread piece on serving plate. Top with 3 Tbsps. lemon curd, 1⁄4 cup sliced strawberries and 3 more Tbsps. lemon curd. Top with an additional shortbread and 1⁄4 cup sliced strawberries. Garnish with mint.
Recipe and photo from the California Strawberry Commission.