YIELD: 24 servings
1 cup turkey bacon, diced
¼ cup olive oil
4 cups yellow onion, diced
4 Tbsps. garlic, minced
½ cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup celery, diced (no leaves)
1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
½ cup molasses
3 Tbsps. cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp. juniper berries, crushed
2 cups dried tart cherries
2 cups Madeira
8 cups smoked turkey, medium dice
2½ gal. turkey stock
4 cups wild rice, cooked
1. In a 4-gallon stockpot, render bacon with olive oil.
2. When bacon is cooked, remove and reserve.
3. Add onions, garlic, peppers, celery, carrots, molasses, black pepper, juniper berries and cherries.
4. Cook until molasses has formed a thick glaze over all vegetables.
5. Deglaze with Madeira.
6. Stir in diced turkey and reserved bacon.
7. Add turkey stock.
8. Simmer for at least 1 hour.
9. 30 minutes before service, add cooked rice.
10. Adjust seasonings, if required.
Recipe: Chef Mark Martin/National Turkey Federati Photo: National Turkey Federation