Yield: 4 dozen
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. salt 3/4 cup butter, lightly chilled cut into bits (6 oz.)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup whipped honey or créme
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 large egg
Coarse sugar, as needed
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Thoroughly mix dry ingredients; reserve.
2. Cream butter, brown sugar, honey and lemon zest until smooth; beat in egg. Add dry ingredients in thirds, mixing well after each addition.
3. Scrape dough onto plastic wrap; shape it into a log about 12" long. Chill for an hour or so until firm, or up to 24 hours.
4. Cut log into 1⁄4" slices; place 1" apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired, lightly pressing sugar into dough. Bake until edges
are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a rack. Cool completely.
Recipe and photo from the National Honey Board.