YIELD: 6 servings
3 large zucchini, cut into ½” slices
¼ cup olive oil
salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
For the kishka:
2 cups flour
½ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2/3 cup cold water
2/3 cup oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the kishka: In a small bowl, combine flour, breadcrumbs, brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in water and oil. Mold the mixture into a log that is the same width as your zucchinis. Freeze log for at least 15 minutes.
3. Place zucchini rounds on one prepared baking sheet. Remove kishka from freezer and slice into ½” rounds. Place rounds on prepared baking sheet.
4. Brush zucchini and kishka rounds with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45-50 minutes until zucchini is tender and kishka and zucchini are golden on the edges.
5. Remove from oven. Create towers by topping a kishka round with a zucchini round, another kishka round, and a second zucchini round.
Photo and recipe: Starters and Sides: Favorite Triple-Tested Recipes by Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek, Artscroll/Shaar Press, 2013