YIELD: 6 servings3 lbs. ground beef
1. In a large skillet over high heat, brown the ground beef until crumbly. Drain excess fat, reserving some.
2. In a little of the beef fat in a heavy pot, sweat the onion, garlic, tomato and spices. Add the ground beef, tomato paste and broth. Cover and cook on low for 2½ hours.
3. Using a ladle, skim excess fat from the top of the chili and discard. Taste and season with kosher salt and lime juice. Reserve warm for service.
4. Cut the artichokes in half and remove the fuzz.
5. Spoon generous amounts of the warmed chili into the centers of the artichokes. Slice the Brie and lay on top of the chili. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes or until the Brie is molten. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with instructions to pull leaves from the “bowl” (the artichoke) to scoop and eat the chili.
Recipe: Chef Tony Baker. Photo: Ocean Mist Farms