YIELD: 4 servings4 large airline chicken breasts, frenched
Salt and pepper, as needed
6 tsps. chopped fresh herbs (thyme, marjo- ram, oregano and rosemary), divided
2 Tbsps. olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp. butter
12 oz. assorted wild mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 cup sliced shallot (about 5 shallots)
½ cup diced roma tomato
¾ cup low-salt chicken broth
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsps. dry Marsala
1. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then 2 tsps. herbs. Pour 1 Tbsp. oil over chicken and rub the oil and herbs all over. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Grill breasts, skin side down, at 450°F for 2 to 3 minutes. Rotate breasts for a grill-mark effect and grill for 3 more minutes. Turn breasts over and grill for 4 minutes. Remove to a sheetpan, skin side down, and place in a 350F° oven for approx 10 minutes until fully cooked. Transfer chicken to plate; tent with foil to keep warm.
3. In a skillet, melt butter with 1 Tbsp. oil. Add mushrooms, shallot, tomato and 2 tsps. herbs. Saute until mushrooms are brown and tender, about 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Combine broth, lemon juice, Marsala and remaining herbs in the same skillet and reduce to ½ cup, about 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
5. Divide chicken breasts among 4 plates. Top each with the mushroom mixture. Spoon sauce over each and serve.
Recipe: Kevin J. Blaney, Chartwells Higher EducationNortheast Region