The five culinary team finalists in the 5th annual HFM Culinary Competition have been selected and will face off in a live cooking competition at HFM’s final Annual Leadership Conference in California in August. The five, with the dishes they will be preparing, are…
• David Reeves, director of food, nutrition, and laundry services and James Roth, executive chef, at Elmhurst (IL) Memorial Healthcare (Grilled Mediterranean Flat-Iron Steak with Metaxa Au Jus & Saffron-infused Quinoa)
• Angelo Mojica, director of foodservice, and Shawn Dolan, executive chef, UNC Healthcare, Chapel Hill, NC (Coffee Bronzed Flat Iron Steak with Curried Banana Pierogi, Green Apple-Jicama Slaw, and Chili Pepper Relish)
• Lisa Poggas, director of nutrition services, and Daniel Skay, manager/executive chef, Parker (CO) Adventist Hospital (Machaca Flat Iron with Cilantro Tomalito and Corn Chile Sauce)
• Lori Corbin, manager of nutrition services, and Chad Nurminen, executive chef, SMDC Health System, Duluth, MN (Pan Seared Chipotle Flat Iron Steak w/Southwestern Succotash, Dressed Watercress Chili Oil and Avocado Crème Fraiche)
• Susan Clarot, regional foodservice manager, and Muni Nadan, executive chef, Memorial Hospital Modesto (CA) (Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Fresh Valley Greens and Gorgonzola in light Red Wine Sauce)
Sponsored by Tyson Foodservice, the HFM Culinary Competition will take place on August 25 at the Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa in Indian Wells, CA, during the 2009 conference. The five teams, each composed of a hospital chef and an operator, will prepare and assemble an original, creative recipe using the featured product, a 5-oz. IBP Flat Iron Everyday Steaks, along with complementary side dishes and sauces .