Karen Johnson, SNS, child nutrition director for the Yuma (AZ) Elementary School District, has been named winner of the Golden School Foodservice Director of the Year Award in the 21st annual Foodservice Achievement Management Excellence (FAME) Awards competition. Other 2010 FAME Award winners include...
• Mary Anderson, director of Culinary Express for the Wayzata (MN) Public Schools (Silver Leadership Award);
• Jacci Morrow, SNS, assistant director of child nutrition & food service programs for the Westminster (CA) School District (Silver Spirit Award);
• Harold Sullins, MBA, foodservice director for the Fontana (CA) USD (Silver Rising Star Award);
• Lori Adkins, MS, SNS, CHE, nutrition supervisor for West Bloomfield (MI) School District (Silver Special Achievement Award); and
• Gene White, SNS, RD, president of the Global Child Nutrition Foundation (Silver Friend of Child Nutrition Award).
In addition, a special presentation will be made this year at the National FAME Award ceremony to honor Independent Contractor Gertrude Applebaum of Corpus Christi, TX, a pioneer in the school nutrition profession since 1946. Applebaum will receive the FAME Awards first presentation of the Lifetime Achievement Award for her dedication to the school nutrition sector.
The FAME Awards honor school nutrition professionals who raise industry standards by providing innovation and leadership within their school districts and communities. The awards will be presented at an event on Jan.10, 2010, at the Sawgrass Marriott Hotel in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, during the School Nutrition Association’s Child Nutrition Industry Conference. Anyone who is not registered for the conference but would like to attend the awards dinner can purchase a ticket by contacting the National FAME Awards via phone at 417-234-2296 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2010 FAME Awards are sponsored by Basic American Foods, Schwan’s Food Services, Inc., and Tyson Foods, Inc.