YIELD: 6 pies
4 Tbsps. unsalted butter at room temperature
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg yolk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsps. unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
½ cup buttermilk
Prepared Strawberry Whoopie Pie filling, as needed
3 medium strawberries, halved, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray whoopie pie pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolk and vanilla, beating to combine.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
4. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating constantly. Pour in vinegar and buttermilk and beat at low speed until just combined.
5. Spoon batter into pan. Bake until center of cake is slightly puffed, 9 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack to room temperature before filling.
6. To assemble, spread filling very thickly to cover the bottom of six pies. Place remaining 6 pies on top of filling. Top each pie with a strawberry. Serve immediately.
Photo and recipe: California Strawberry Commission