Yield: 15 servings
4 large turkey legs (2 1⁄2-3 lbs. ea.)
1 bunch fresh sage, washed and dried
1 bunch fresh rosemary, washed and dried
3 cups dry red wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper
flour, as needed
olive oil, as needed
2 stalks celery, medium dice
6 carrots, medium dice
4 onions, medium dice
2 gals. turkey stock
2 cloves garlic, halved
8-10 lbs. turkey breast
4 bunches asparagus
1⁄2 lb. fresh morels, cleaned
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups dry white wine
1 bunch fresh thyme, picked and chopped
As needed salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For ther legs: Cut the ball joints off all drumsticks. slice all 6 legs into thick "osso Buco" slices. Mix sage, rosemary and red wine together. Marinate leg slices in herbed wine for 6-8 hours. remove from marinade, reserve marinade.
- Season leg slices with salt and pepper. Dust with flour. heat oil in a roasting pan and sear leg slices on high heat until golden brown. remove from pan and set aside.
- Add celery, carrots and onions to pan and caramelize. Deglaze with herbed red wine marinade and reduce by half.
- Return seared leg slices to pan, cover all with turkey stock. Add garlic. Bring to a simmer. Cover and braise in 325°F oven for 11⁄2 hours or until fork tender.
- For the stuffed breasts: Butterfly turkey breast lengthwise and open. Pound lightly to an even thickness with skin side down.
- Blanch 4 bunches asparagus in boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain and plunge into an ice bath to cool.
- Braise morels slowly in butter and white wine. remove morels from liquid and reserve 2⁄3 of liquid for vegetable saute. Cool morels and slice into rings.
- Layer morel rings in a row in the center of the breast and top with a row of asparagus and a final layer of morels.
- Roll breast in a roulade and tie with butcher's twine. sprinkle with chopped thyme, salt and pepper. sear on high heat until skin is golden brown. Place on a rack and braise in a 450°F oven until cooked to an internal temperature of 170°F.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Saute remaining 2 bunches asparagus and 1⁄2 pound morels in reserved butter and white wine. season with salt and pepper. hold warm for service.
- To serve: reheat legs in braising liquid in a 450°F oven. slice breast roulade and heat. Plate slices of turkey legs and breast on a dinner plate and serve with sauteed vegetables.
Recipe and photo from the Nationa Turkey Federation