YIElD: 12 servings
36 spears grilled asparagus
1 cup prepared balsamic-garlic-olive oil
24 slices crusty sourdough bread
24 slices Fontina cheese
24 slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cups roasted red pepper pieces
24 slices Provolone cheese
virgin olive oil,as needed
12 fresh fruit kebabs
1. Toss grilled asparagus with vinaigrette and let stand covered and refrigerated, at least 2 hours before using. Reserve.
2. Lay 12 slices bread on clean, flat surface. Top each slice with (in order): 2 slices Fontina;
3 marinated, drained spears asparagus;
2 slices fresh Mozzarella;
6 fresh basil leaves;
21⁄2 Tbsps. red pepper pieces; and
2 slices Provolone.
Top with second slice of bread. Cover and reserve.
3. Brush both sides of each sandwich lightly with olive oil.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and griddle sandwiches on both sides until golden brown. Transfer to a sheet pan and warm in 350°F conventional oven 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
5. To serve: cut each sandwich on the diagonal and serve with a fresh fruit kebab.
Recipe and photo by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board