YIELD: 6 servings
6 portobello mushroom caps, each about 3 to 4 inches in diameter,
2 Tbsps. plain dry bread crumbs
1⁄4 cup bottled light Italian salad dressing
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 (10-oz.) bags fresh baby spinach
3⁄4 cup dried tart cherries
1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
6 Tbsps. freshly shredded Romano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Use a spoon or sharp knife to scrape out the gills from the mushroom caps; discard gills. Place mushroom caps with rounded side down on baking sheet.
3. Sprinkle inside of each with 1 tsp. dry bread crumbs; set aside.
4. Heat dressing in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add spinach and cherries; reduce heat to medium-low.
5. Simmer, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Stir in pine nuts.
6. Divide spinach mixture evenly among mushroom caps. Sprinkle each with 1 Tbsp. cheese. Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and filling is hot.
Recipe and photo by the Cherry Marketing Institute