as needed vegetable oil,for frying
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 ⁄4 tsp.salt
2 Tbsps.sugar,or to taste
1 cup,2 Tbsps.ice cold soda water
2 lbs.strawberries (about 36 berries)
Bittersweet ginger chocolate sauce:
6 oz.bittersweet chocolate
3 tsps.pureed crystallized ginger chips
1 ⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil in a deep fryer and stabilize temperature to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar. Whirling with chopsticks, add the cold soda water to flour mixture, combining very lightly (batter should be lumpy.)
- Dip strawberries into batter and fry until heated through and crispy on the outside. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate with ginger and cream in top of double boiler until smooth.
- Per serving, plate 3 strawberries and drizzle or spoon chocolate sauce over.
Recipe and photo from the California Strawberry Commission.