Yield: 24 servings
Noodles: 11/2 lbs. dried rice noodles, 1/4 inch wide
3/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
1/3 cup Sake rice wine
11/2 oz. shallots, minced
6 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 " thick strips
1/2 cup vegetable oil
21/2 lbs. red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
2 lbs. red onions, thinly sliced
3 oz. garlic, minced
11/2 oz. ground dried mild chile pepper
11/4 cups Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
2 oz. sugar
1 tsp. black pepper
6 oz. Thai or regular basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup lime juice
- To soak noodles: In hotel pan, cover noodles with hot water. Let stand 15 minutes or until tender. Rinse with cold water; drain. Cover and refrigerate.
- To make shallot marinade: In large nonmetal bowl, combine 3/4 cup fish sauce, rice wine and shallots.
- Add chicken; cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- To stir-fry: In rondo, heat oil over high heat until very hot.Add bell peppers, onions, garlic and chile; stir-fry 3 minutes. Push pepper mixture to one side.Add chicken mixture; stir-fry 4 minutes. Combine bell pepper mixture and chicken; stir-fry 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside and bell peppers are crisp-tender.
- Add soy sauce, water, fish sauce, sugar and pepper; bring to a boil. Gently stir in noodles; cook until noodles are heated through and sauce is absorbed. Stir in basil and lime juice. Transfer to hotel pan. Cover and hold at 150°F in a food warmer until service.
Recipe created by Chef Tim Cooney of Northeastern University, Boston. Photo from Kikkoman.