YIELD: 24 Servings
2 lbs. navy beans, dry*
1 Tbsp., 1 tsp. olive oil vegetable blend
10 oz. red onions, diced 1/4"
10 oz. red peppers, diced 1/4"
4 oz. fresh jalapeno, minced
3 oz. garlic, fresh, minced
5 oz. sherry wine
10 oz. tomatoes, diced
4 Tbsps., 2 tsps. cilantro, fresh, chopped
- *THE DAY BEFORE: Pick, rinse and drain beans. Cover beans with water (not listed) allowing enough room in container for beans to expand. Refrigerate overnight at 40°F or below.
- FOR THE STEW: The next day, drain beans, rinse and discard excess liquid.
- Place beans in pot and cover with water (not listed). Simmer until beans are tender and minimum internal temperature is 165°F (for 15 seconds), 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Purèe 1/4 of the cooked beans and combine with the remaining whole beans.
- Heat the oil in a pot and sautè the onions, peppers, jalapenos and garlic until the onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and sautè, stirring constantly, until the beans are heated through.
- Add the sherry and tomatoes and simmer. Minimum internal temperature of 165°F (for 15 seconds).
- Hold hot at 140'F or above for service. Shelf life: If leftover, do not reuse.
Recipe from National Executive Chef Richard Arakelian and team, Sodexho Corporate Services Division.