YIELD: 12 servings
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
2 1/2 lbs. 16/20 shrimp, diced, reserved; shells reserved for stock (other sizes may be substituted)
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 large onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced 3 ribs celery, sliced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1Tbsp. Spanish paprika, high quality
1Tbsp. cumin 3 red bell peppers roasted (skin removed) 1 qt. heavy cream 1 cup white rice 1 cup sherry 2 qts. shrimp stock (water may be easily substituted)
- Heat virgin olive oil in medium to large stockpot; sautè shrimp shells then add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook garlic, onion, carrots, celery and shells until lightly browned. Discard shells. Add tomato paste and spices, cook on low heat for 3- 5 minutes while stirring slowly. Deglaze with sherry wine.
- Add reserved shrimp, rice, water, heavy cream and roasted peppers. Simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- Then with hand blender or stationary blender purèe all ingredients in pot to smooth consistency.
IMPORTANT: Extremely hot ingredients placed in blender will cause pressure and may be dangerous. USE CAUTION.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Consistency may also be adjusted by adding more shrimp stock or water.
- Garnish soup with fresh chopped cilantro, tomatoes and sour cream.
Chef Frederic Przyborowski, Roof Terrace Restaurant & Bar, Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC, Restaurant Associates