YIELD: 24 scones
4 cups flour
2 Tbsps. white sugar
1 1/2 tsps. salt
4 tsps. baking powder
6 oz. butter, salted and chilled (3/4 cups)
2 tsps. lemon zest, fresh minced
4 tsps. thyme, fresh minced
2 tsps. black pepper, cracked
2 cups yellow onions, diced 1/4" (4 lbs.)
2 1/2 cups dried sour cherries, coarsely chopped
4 large eggs, beaten
4 cups heavy cream
2 large eggs, beaten, for egg washing tops of scones
Flour as needed for forming scones
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add butter and blend until mixture resembles cornmeal, with small chunks of butter still visible. Add lemon zest, thyme, pepper, onions and dried cherries. Mix only until combined.
- Add eggs and cream and blend until mixture just holds together as dough.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl, and turn out onto lightly floured work surface. Gently fold dough over itself ten times.
- Divide dough into four equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a seven inch round, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Brush tops with egg wash. Place separated wedges onto a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool.
Recipe and photo from the National Onion Association