SHINING STARS: This year's crop of Rising Stars are (seated, front row, from left to right) Jeremy Grandon, Chris Ferndandez, Paul Virant, Matthew Zappoli. Seated (middle row) are Emmanuel Piqueras Villaran, Jake Linzinmeir and Todd Mark Miller. Standing is Brian Bistrong, and seated far right is Michael Bloise.
A new addition to the Concepts of Tomorrow Conference last year was the presentation of RESTAURANT HOSPITALITY's Rising Star Awards. It's a natural fit because it demonstrates the magazine's commitment to honoring upandcoming talent, whether it's the talent behind a chain of the future or that of a chef on the rise.
Though we've been recognizing Rising Stars in the magazine for more than 20 years, the award ceremony at this and last year's conference was made possible by our partners at Nestlè Foodservice, a company that has long embraced the cutting edge.
This year we honored nine members of the 2005 class of Rising Stars. Though not all their names were recognizable to those attending the Rising Star ceremony, the editors of RH have little doubt that the public will be hearing their names and seeing their faces for years to come.
Accepting this year's Rising Star Awards were:
- Brian Bistrong, The Harrison, N.Y.C.
- Jeremy Grandon, Jeremy Restaurant & Bar, Keego Harbor, MI
- Michael Bloise, Wish, Miami Beach
- Emmanuel Piqueras Villaran, Andina, Portland, OR
- Matthew Zappoli, Fresh, La Jolla, CA
- Chris Fernandez, Poggio, Sausalito, CA
- Jake Linzinmeir, Chair 8, Telluride, CO
- Paul Virant, Vie, Chicago
- Todd Mark Miller, Barclay Prime, Philadelphia
Remember these names; they may be the next Emerils of the culinary world.