YIELD: 12 servings
3 cups yellow cornmeal
4 1/2 cups fat free milk
3 cups water
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsps. butter or margarine
8 medium yellow onions, sliced (about 3 lbs.)
4 tsps. vegetable oil
2 lbs. lean ground beef or pork
4 to 6 tsps.chili powder (to taste)
2 cups canned whole pimientos or roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/2" strips
2 cups canned whole green chiles, cut into 1/2" strips
Sour cream, as needed, (optional)
- Combine cornmeal with water and milk in saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until boiling. Continue to cook 30 to 60 seconds more, or until cornmeal reaches consistency of soft mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and butter. Turn into one 5-qt. casserole or two 21/2-qt. casseroles.
- Sautè onions in oil in large skillet until soft. Spoon into casserole in a ring at edge.
- In same skillet, sautè beef until browned; stir in chili powder. Turn into center of casserole.
- Lay pimientos (or red bell peppers) and chiles in latticework on top. Cover and bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot in center. Serve with dollops of sour cream, if desired.
Recipe and photo from the National Onion Association.