YIELD: 24 1-lb. loaves
Overnight fruit mix:
7 oz. mixed candied peel
7 oz. whole, blanched almonds
2 lbs., 5 oz. raisins
1 lb., 7 oz. mixed candied fruit
8 oz. rum or warm water, divided
9 oz. yeast (compressed)
3 lbs., 3 oz. whole milk
3 lbs., 11 oz. bread flour
3 lbs., 11 oz. unsalted butter, softened
1 lb., 7 oz. sugar
1 lb., 14 oz. eggs
1 oz. salt
1 tsp. rum flavoring (optional, if using water instead of rum above)
1/12 oz. nutmeg
7 lbs., 5 oz. bread flour
1/2 oz. lemon rind
1/2 oz. orange rind
- FOR FRUIT: Soak candied peel, almonds, raisins and mixed candied fruit in 2 oz. of the rum or warm water overnight. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE SPONGE: Dissolve yeast in milk; add 3 lbs., 11 oz. bread flour. On medium speed, mix until combined and let sponge ferment one hour in proofer.
- Cream softened butter with sugar, eggs, salt and sponge. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add remaining 6 oz. of rum or water, rum flavoring (if using), spices and bread flour and mix on medium for 6 minutes.Add citrus peel, plus the soaked and reserved candied peel, almonds, raisins and mixed candied fruit; mix for 1 minute on medium.
- Ferment dough until it doubles in size; punch down. Divide dough into 24, 1-lb. units. Round up. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, covered. Mold dough like pan bread, about 10-in., and press the center down lengthwise using a rolling pin. Brush with melted butter. Fold the dough together and place on a paper-lined baking pan.Alternatively, prepare as a braided loaf.
- Egg wash and proof for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F until golden brown.
- After baking, wash with melted butter and sprinkle with confectioners sugar or granulated sugar, if desired.Wrap stollen when cool.
Recipe and photo from California Raisin Marketing Board.