YIELD: 150 servings
25 lbs. macaroni noodles, uncooked
50 lbs. ground beef
10 lbs. onions, diced
6 gals. + 1 qt. tomato puree
2 cups olive oil
2 cups butter, melted (1/2 cup per pan)
to taste salt and pepper
5 gals. milk
4 lbs. butter
4 lbs. flour
64 each eggs
2 lbs. cheddar cheese, grated (for sauce)
8 cups cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups per pan)
- In a large steam kettle, cook meat and onions in about 1 qt. of water until water is absorbed, stirring once or twice.Add oil and brown meat mixture.Add salt and pepper.
- Add tomato puree and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook macaroni al dente; rinse and cool; set aside.
- Assemble casserole in four 1/2 -in. pans, layering macaroni, then 1 cup cheese for each pan, then meat mixture.Top with more macaroni and more cheese. Pour 1/2 cup melted butter over each pan.
- Melt 4 lbs. of butter; add flour to make roux, and cook 5 minutes.Add milk, stirring constantly.Add 1 lb. grated cheese and salt to taste. When thickened, beat eggs and slowly add to the sauce.
- Spread sauce evenly over macaroni; sprinkle each pan with 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- Bake at 300°F in convection oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until 165°F internal temperature is reached and top is browned.
Recipe from Chef de Cuisine Gregory Brandes, MedCentral Health System, Mansfield, OH.