Yield: 24 servings
13 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsps. butter
12 cups uncooked instant brown rice
2 cups olive oil, divided
2 Tbsps. garlic, minced
4 cups lemon juice
4 tsps. salt
2 tsps. pepper
12 cups tomatoes, diced
8 cups parsley, minced
6 cups cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
4 cups green onion, sliced
1 cup fresh mint, minced
24 each pitas
12 cups lettuce, shredded
- FOR RICE: Bring broth and butter to a boil; add rice. Stir, cover and lower heat to simmer. Cook 10 minutes, covered, until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice.
- Drizzle 1 cup olive oil over rice; toss.
- FOR DRESSING: Whisk together 1 cup olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to combine. Pour over rice and toss to coat.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Add tomatoes, parsley, cucumber, green onion and fresh mint to rice mixture and stir to combine. Refrigerate overnight. Toss before serving.
- TO SERVE: Fill sliced pita bread with shredded lettuce and rice salad.
Recipe and photo from USA Rice Federation.