Yield: 40 servings
33/4 cups dry chow mein noodles
61/2 lbs. Mandarin oranges (1 #10 can), juice reserved
40 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
5 tsps. garlic
2 cups hoisin sauce, divided
1/2 cup sesame oil
11/2 cups corn oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup apricot jam or preserves
61/4 lbs. chicken breast, cooked and diced
6 lbs. Romaine lettuce, shredded
10 lbs. iceberg lettuce, chopped
- Portion chow mein noodles into 2-oz. cups.
- Drain Mandarin oranges, reserving juice for dressing.
- Place 1/8 tsp. garlic in each 2-oz. dressing container.
- Mix together 43/4 cup juice from Mandarin oranges, 1 cup hoisin sauce, sesame oil, corn oil and soy sauce. Divide sauce evenly among the dressing cups.
- Mix chicken broth, remaining hoisin sauce and apricot jam in large bowl. Add cooked chicken and refrigerate to marinate.
- Combine lettuces in mixing bowl. Place equal portions of lettuce in individual salad containers. Place dressing cup at 1 o'clock position; place cup of noodles at 11 o'clock position; sprinkle 1 slice bacon on salad; sprinkle 8 Mandarin orange slices on salad; place 21/2 ozs. chicken between 6 & 7 o'clock positions. Cover with lid and keep in refrigerated cooler for grab and go.
Recipe from Director of Food & Nutrition Services Janet Potts, R.D., L.D., and Cook Miriam Young, St. John Medical Center, Tulsa, OK.